First Generation Awards 2016 from Colorado State University on Vimeo.
First Generation Award (FGA) Applications for incoming 2017-2018 students will be available in January. The deadline to apply is March 1 2017. PLEASE NOTE: students are only eligible to apply upon initial admission/enrollment. Students are not able to apply at any later date
Those eligible to apply are:
- Colorado residents or students who can be classified as an in state resident for tuition purposes in accordance with the Colorado ASSET Bill, Senate Bill 13-033;
- entering in the fall as freshmen or transfer students whose parents have not received a bachelor's degree; CURRENTLY ENROLLED, Full time CSU OnLine students, and/or CSU-Global students are not eligible to apply
- able to demonstrate financial need; and
- have met the March 1 deadline for admission, submission of FAFSA or the CSU Institutional Aid application,
- have submitted the First Generation Award (FGA) application by March deadline (PLEASE NOTE, this is a separate application than the CSUSA application)
The purpose of the program is to encourage participation in higher education by first generation college students who have significant financial need (as defined by standard calculations based on financial aid application information), and to promote diversity within the University's student population.
A "first generation college student" is a person whose parents never earned a bachelor's or graduate degree. "Diversity" includes persons with diverse social/economic backgrounds and experiences who have traditionally been underrepresented in higher education and for whom traditional support has been limited; and includes, but is not limited to ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities (including both physical or learning) and those with experience in or a commitment to promoting an awareness or appreciation of diversity.
The selection process is competitive and there are a limited number of awards available. The award amount is up to a maximum of $4,000 annually, and is contingent upon full time enrollment during both the fall and spring semesters. The award carries the possibility of renewal.
Awards are supported by state and Colorado State University funds and recipients must verify financial need.
Applications are only accepted between January and March 1 (or the 1st business date following March 1) and only students newly admitted for the upcoming fall semester are eligible (currently enrolled, continuing students are not eligible to apply).
To apply, complete the application and essay responses and make sure CASA has them by the March deadline for that upcoming academic year.
For complete details on eligibility and application procedures, please contact Fabiola Mora by phone at (970) 491-7095 or at Fabiola.Mora@colostate.edu